Sunday, March 30, 2008

How To Remove Orkut MUHAHA Virus

I was asked by my friend that he is the only user in his computer, his account is having administrative rights, but he is not able to open Orkut, and it says Orkut is banned. Another friend had told that he is not able to use Mozilla Firefox and it asks him to use Internet Explorer. I just told it must be some virus, but really didn't care much about that. But none of the antivirus software could detect or remove this malware.
My friend had given me a pen drive. I remembered it while browsing net on Firefox. When I put that in my PC and double clicked, it didn't open. I knew at once: I had activated a virus. But I didn't have any idea about the kind of virus that might have come to my PC, until I switched back to Firefox. Immediately a message box was displayed: I DNT HATE MOZILLA BUT USE IE OR ELSE... with title as USE INTERNET EXPLORER U DOPE. I just remembered the experiences of my friends. I tried to locate the virus by running the Task Manager. But there were no suspicious entries there. I had to bow the owner of the virus. I used Internet Explorer to search about it. The first entry in Google took me to the Mozilla Forum page, and after going through some pages, I came to know that the same virus also displayed another message when you opened Orkut. Orkut is banned you fool, The administrators didnt write this program guess who did?? MUHAHAHA!! with title ORKUT IS BANNED. Well, a similar message was displayed for YouTube also. So I went through all the posts, and finally found a solution given here:

Now how to get ride this.. A quick way for orkut addicted those who want a quick access to orkut is as follows..
► Press alt+ctrl+del and goto processes tab
► There you will see a list of processes under the different username, arrange the processes according to your username and search for the process svchost.exe
► Right click and end process or end process tree. Make sure you end the imagename or process which are under your username and not that which are under LOCAL SERVICE OR NETWORK SERVICE.
► This gives you instant access to orkut..
A Similar of this variant gives you error on opening firefox.
"I DNT HATE MOZILLA BUT USE IE OR ELSE…", "USE INTERNET EXPLORER U DOPE",
The above 4 Steps solution works for the same..
Now a fix to permanently get rid of this nuisance, this pulls the interest of my friends who called me up and took help to access their orkut accounts instantly..
Follow as :-
REPEAT THE ABOVE 4 STEPS AND THEN CONTINUE.
► Click start->run type c:\heap41a and press Enter. You cannot find this folder by looking through windows explores i.e. My Computer, as this is a hidden folder.
► Delete all the files under this folder by pressing ctrl+a followed by shift+del key
► Now again goto Start->Run and write regedit, this opens registry editor for you.
► Press ctrl+f , a find dialog box opens, type heap41a and let it show you some results
► You should see "[winlogon] C:\heap41a\svchost.exe C:\heap(some number)\std.txt"
► Now delete whatever you see there :D cause you love orkut .. hahahah
Well your PC/LP is cleaned up and now you can open your orkut account without that nuisance.
Make sure you delete all the .exe files which are present at the root of ur pendrive which got created automatically(which you never created). Rather scan your pen drive with a good antivirus.. That should allow you stealth your PC from the attack of MUHAHA
Other Effects
Well this worm/virus removes hidden folder options or you are unable to see hidden folders. so enable the hidden folder option follow the steps as :-
► Goto Start->run type regedit again to open registry editor
► traverse as HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer3.
►There you will see a DWORD key as "NoFolderOptions" . Set its value to 0 or simply delete it

No comments:

Post a Comment